Playing with Milk Paint

The second book I made this weekend was about 5″ X 8″, about the dimensions of a Moleskine. The book block is 200 lb. Fabriano Artistico and is sewn onto a leather spine. The covers are made from mahogany and finished with milk paint. I cracked the paint by drying each coat in the sun and then putting on another coat quickly, before the first one was completely dry. I used several colors, layer after layer and the distressed the paint by sanding through some of the colors. I’m not sure where it came from, but I had a picture of the minions from the movie Despicable Me laying on my desk and it got included in the binding. Here are the images:

The front cover:


The detail on the spine:


Here’s a close up of the minions:


If you’re interested in trying milk paint for yourself, I get mine from The Old Fashion Milk Paint Company.

Like a bad rash, I’m back

It’s been a while since I’ve posted, without going into details some changes in my Clark Kent life took over. I’m trying to get back into the swing of things and while I was trying to decide what I wanted to make, I found some pages I had torn some time ago. I made a couple of books to fit the pages, the first is made from polymer clay. It’s approximately 4″ X 6″ and the book block is 140 lb. Fabriano Artistico sewn onto a leather spine. The front cover features five faces and below the faces, three cutouts reveal some brass screen sandwiched between the polymer clay layers.

Here’s a shot of the cover:


And the spine: